Do I need a lawyer for mediation?

The fact that you are reading our answer to this question suggests that you are thinking about resolving your family law issues amicably and through discussion. We commend you for this. Mediation is a dispute resolution process where a mediator (an independent third party specially trained in helping two parties reach an agreement) facilitates communication

Can I move with my kids interstate after separation?

The short answer is yes, you can. However, if you decide to leave straight away without talking it through with your ex, chances are high that you will be served with a Court application for recovery orders. If you’re thinking about relocating with children, you should obtain specialist legal advice from a family lawyer. What

My ex-partner is breaching Family Court Orders

Family Law Court Orders made by the court are binding on all parties. Breaching these orders, legally referred to as a ‘contravention’, is a serious offence, unless you have a ‘reasonable excuse’. The Court can make several orders in response to a breach. Many factors are taken into consideration when establishing whether there was a

Child Support- Everything you need to know

Either parent can apply for a child support assessment. Child Support issues an assessment setting out the amount of child support payable by one parent to the other. The assessment is based on a formula. The level of child support varies depending on such factors as: the number of children of the relationship; the amount

Who gets the pet in a divorce?

There is no question that for animal lovers (this writer included) pets have become an integral part of the family. We are seeing more and more clients who want to know what will happen to the family pet after divorce. What does the law say? There is no mention of pets in the Family Law

Do I need proof of cheating for divorce?

Since 1975, divorces in Australia have been granted on a ‘no fault’ basis. This means that the party making the application does not need to prove ‘fault’ on the part of the other party. Under the no fault divorce system, a divorce application can be filed by either spouse. Alternately, a joint application for divorce can be filed by

What is an Independent Children’s Lawyer?

An ICL is a lawyer appointed by the Court to assist in determining what parenting arrangements are in the child (or children’s) best interests. ICLs are experienced family lawyers who have completed the national ICL accreditation program. Their fees are usually met in the first instance by Victoria Legal Aid, but parties are often requested

Family Law Separation & New Year Resolutions

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year” right? Well, it would certainly depend on who you ask. If that person was a family lawyer, they would likely tell you the opposite unfortunately. The Christmas season is full of immense pressure on families both socially and financially, which makes it no surprise that this period